Brisbane Grandmother CHARGED With Attempted Murder of Her Four-Month-Old Grandson

A four-month-old baby allegedly slashed in the face by his grandmother is no longer in a critical condition.

The baby boy was underwent surgery on Tuesday and his condition was serious but stable on Wednesday morning, a hospital spokesman said.

The grandmother has been charged with attempted murder and will face Brisbane Magistrates Court on Wednesday morning

Multiple reports said he may be ‘scarred for life’ after the incident at a home in Brisbane’s north-west on Tuesday morning.

Neighbours said the baby and his mother were visiting the boy’s grandmother, who lives alone in the quiet and leafy suburb of The Gap.

The child’s mother, from Sydney, woke to the sound of her child screaming after 6am, police said.

She discovered her severely injured son in a ‘distressed state’ and the grandmother, and a knife, nearby.

Police were pictured inspecting a stainless steel meat cleaver outside the home on Tuesday

‘(The mother’s) clearly distraught over what’s occurred. She’s provided police with all the assistance she could,’ said Inspector Daniel Bragg.

The boy was rushed to hospital and with wounds to his face, cheek and neck, Seven News reported.

Police and paramedics who rushed to the horrific scene were left 'distressed', said police Inspector Daniel Bragg

The baby needed blood transfusions to keep him alive in the ambulance.

Inspector Bragg said both paramedics and police who rushed to the scene were ‘visibly distressed by what they were dealing with’.

Forensics police pored over the property at The Gap on Tuesday after the alleged attack

Forensics police pored over the house and photographed a stainless steel meat cleaver in the driveway.

The retired teacher, 64, was charged with attempted murder late on Tuesday.

A shocked neighbour, who woke to the sound of sirens, said: ‘The baby and the daughter arrived about two days ago, they’re from down south.

‘She (the grandmother) lives at the house. It’s just her. She’s very quiet and keeps to herself.

‘We all get together at Christmas time and have a big street party but she, the grandmother, never wants to come.’

The grandmother faced Brisbane Magistrates Court on Wednesday morning but had her matter adjourned so she could undergo a medical assessment.

She did not apply for bail.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *