23. The average Aussie drinks 96 litres of beer per year.
24. In Australia, it is illegal to walk on the right-hand side of a footpath.
25. Australia is the only continent in the world without an active volcano.
26. 91% of the country is covered by native vegetation.
27. Moomba, Australia’s largest free festival, held in Melbourne, means ‘up your bum’
in many Aboriginal languages.
28.The wine cask (goon sack) is an Australian invention, along with the selfie.
29. Each year, Brisbane hosts the world championships of cockroach racing.
30. In 1932, the Australian military waged war on the emu population of Western Australia. Embarrassingly, they lost.
31. Eucalyptus oil is highly flammable, meaning gum trees may explode if ignited, or in bush fires
32. There have been instances of wallabies getting high after breaking into opium crops, then running around and making what look like crop circles.
33. An Australian man once tried to sell New Zealand on eBay.
34. The male lyrebird, which is native to Australia, can mimic the calls of over 20 other birds. If that’s not impressive enough, he can also perfectly imitate the sound of a camera, chainsaw and car alarm.
35. There have been no deaths in Australia from a spider bite since 1979.
36. There currently a chlamydia outbreak among koala species, which has led to a 15% drop in koala populations.
37. In NSW, there is a coal fire beneath the ground which has been burning for 5,500 years.